Mathletes work through numerous number problems
Education, Kamloops, News, TRU
Thursday May 17, 2018
Simple math test:
What do you get when you subtract 58 mathletes for one day from their 12 secondary and middle schools located in School District 73?
Answer: The local edition of the 46th annual BC Secondary School Mathematics Contest.
TRU was one of 12 universities and colleges across BC playing host to the long-running contest on May 4, which proved to be a time to talk numbers, celebrate formulas and hash out complicated theories. Another bonus was hearing from guest speakers who make their living from math.
SD73 participants and teachers heard from Dr. Egan Chernoff, a TRU and South Kamloops Secondary School alumnus, who is also an associate professor of mathematics education at the University of Saskatchewan.
“The Math Contest is always one of the highlights of our department’s year,” said TRU math faculty member Shane Rollans and one of the contest’s organizers for the district. “We get a chance to meet top math students from across the district and reconnect with their math teachers, many of whom were our former students. It was a fun day for everyone.”
School District 73 results
1. Jodh Nahal, Grade 8, Sa-Hali Secondary
2. Paige Hembling, Grade 8, and Midori Sugiyama, Grade 10, Sa-Hali
3. Jordyn Maywood, Grade 9, Brocklehurst Middle School
1. Bill Wan, Grade 12, Westsyde Secondary
2. Brayden Turner, Grade 11, Kamloops School of the Arts
3. Stuart Klenner, Grade 11, South Kamloops Secondary