Neighbourhood: City Centre
One of Kamloops’ most notable and well known heritage buildings is this grand brick and stone three-storey building located on the edge of the City’s West End.
This was the third courthouse for Kamloops. The first was a small whitewashed log cabin built in 1873 on Victoria Street West. That Cabin Also served as jail, government agent’s office, and assembly hall. After 1883, Kamloops became a judicial seat for the County of Yale, and a new courthouse was needed.
A wood frame courthouse and jail was built across the street at the corner of 1st Avenue and Victoria Street West. In 1905, when Kamloops was established as a judiciary seat, yet another courthouse was needed, and that was when plans for this brick courthouse were developed. Architects Honeyman and Curtis designed the courthouse. They also designed several other courthouses in B.C., but they are especially know for their work on the Empress Hotel in Victoria.
The elaborate stained glass windows were designed by C. Bloomfield, who also designed the windows of the BC Legistative Buildings. The Court House was built using local brick and imported granite and slate. It is Provincial Gothic in style and features a slate roof, rolled copper roof ridge, balustrades, parapeted gables, turret, cupola, oriel window, cornerstone quoins and accents, and heraldic arms. Inside, there is a ceramic mosaic entrance floor, oak and fir doors and trim, and the courtroom complete with judge’s bench, witness stand, prisoner’s dock, and juror’s box.