Employment Opportunity – SUPPORT FOR WOMEN AND YOUTH
Community, Kamloops, News
Wednesday August 14, 2019
The Kamloops & District Elizabeth Fry Society is
a non-profit society providing services to people who are, or could be,
criminalized, with an emphasis on the needs of women and families. The society provides education, advocacy,
capacity building and safe, secure, affordable housing within an environment of
respect for each person’s right to self-determination and freedom from
in 1974, the Society is a member of the Canadian Association of Elizabeth Fry
Societies. Staff, volunteers, and the
board of directors are committed to compassionate program delivery with
community collaboration and respect for diversity. The Elizabeth Fry Society,
with skilled and motivated staff and volunteers, provides a fair and equitable
work environment focused on health, mutual respect and teamwork.
The Building Caretaker is responsible for the
day-to-day maintenance of housing buildings, minor suite repairs, and routine
tenant interactions. The Building
Caretaker works with the Housing Manager to ensure overall building upkeep is
maintained, performs periodic inspections and prepares suites
for rental as expediently as possible.
- Clean and maintain the interior and exterior of the
Society’s residential buildings in cooperation with the other Housing Program
- Enforce the rules and regulations regarding the
- Perform minor repairs and maintenance as required and
pick up supplies as needed.
- Be available and set appointments to show suites to
prospective tenants during reasonable viewing hours (8:00 a.m. – 8:00 p.m.).
- Report regularly to the Housing Manager and liaise
with the Society staff on matters affecting the upkeep of the property and well
being of the tenants.
- Serve eviction and other such notices as may be
required from time to time.
- Be on call (via emergency cell phone) on a rotating
basis, shared equally for Hilltop, Cornerhouse, Family Stepping Stones and
Elizabeth Court and as needed to assist with holiday coverage.
- Make arrangements for necessary repairs with an
Job Skills and
- Ability to select and use appropriate equipment and
- Ability to troubleshoot maintenance problems
- Ability to identify an emergency and respond
- Ability to deal appropriately with a variety of
individuals and groups including tenants, tenant associations and health
- Ability to provide services to individuals from
diverse backgrounds in a sensitive and reasonable manner
- Clear understandable written and oral communication
- Ability to work cooperatively with staff and
- Ability to plan, organize and manage work with minimal
- Knowledge of WHMIS principles and safety protocols
Education and/or Experience
- Secondary school graduation or equivalent
- Building service worker/janitorial training
- One-year experience as a building caretaker or manager
- Equivalent combination of education, training and
- Computer literacy, preferably in Windows, MS Word,
Excel and Outlook is desirable
- Caretaker must be physically capable of using the
necessary tools and equipment
- Must possess a valid BC Driver’s Licence and a
- A criminal record check and search under the Criminal
Record Review Act is required
- Comprehensive benefits package and matching RRSP
apply for this position please send cover letter and resume to [email protected]
you for your interest, only those selected for interviews will be contacted.